Among the prominent clubs in Pune, The Ladies Club deserves a special mention. The club located at Tarapore Road in Camp has an interesting history about it. Founded by Parsi ladies in 1930 as an exclusive ladies club, the club was one of the first of its kind in the country. The tradition is carried to this day wherein gents get membership to the club only in association with the ladies in their family.
Walk inside and you are immediately taken in by the club’s architecture and environment which has an old world charm about it. Spread over a sprawling 3 acres, the club precincts include a well cared for lawn and garden, a Shamiyana, card room, parking grounds, tennis and badminton courts, table tennis room and canteen. The club is ably managed by a committee of 13 members with Mr. Bomi Talavia functioning as the President.
The tennis coaching programme is one of the hallmarks of the club. Conducted by internationally acclaimed coach Sunny Jacob, the Ladies Club Tennis courts have played their part in shaping several national level players in the country.
An evening at the club especially on Fridays is a not-to-miss affair. The highlight being a Tambola tournament conducted via a computer and a giant TV screen, the only one of its kind in any club in Pune, informed Mr. Rohinton Bharda, the Manager of the club. Musical programmes and refreshments make it an evening to remember.